Firebirds Southwest Potato Soup
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2-3 large baking potatoes, raw, diced
- 1-2 “baked” potatoes, flesh removed
- 1 1/2 tsp chile rub (a special blend of chile powder, ancho chile powder, cayenne pepper, sugar & salt)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup smoked Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake 1-2 potatoes for 1 hour or until done. Let cool.
- Heat oil in a heavy stock pot; add the onions, peppers and celery, sauté until soft.
- Add raw, diced potatoes and chile rub sauté until incorporated.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer, add the heavy cream, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Cut the baked potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the contents with a large spoon, incorporate into soup with a wisk (this will help to thicken the soup). Continue to wisk and add smoked Cheddar cheese small amounts at a time, until completely melted.
- Place into a serving bowl and garnish with smoked cheddar cheese, bacon & scallions.