FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FIREBIRDS WOOD FIRED GRILL CELEBRATES EARTH DAY
WITH NEW RECYCLING PROGRAMS
Polished-casual restaurant continues to improve sustainability
Charlotte, N.C. (April 20, 2017) – Just in time for Earth Day, Firebirds Wood Fired Grill is expanding its sustainability efforts to include wine cork and crayon recycling programs. Known for its extensive wine list and healthy kids menu that includes fun activities, Firebirds will soon place drop-off boxes inside each restaurant for guests and employees to deposit used wine corks and crayons.
Both natural corks and synthetic corks will be recycled, with two cents donated to forest and ocean conservation efforts for every natural cork recycled. Guests may also bring used corks and crayons from home and drop them off at the restaurant for recycling.
“The culture at Firebirds focuses on being conscious. In this case, that means keeping track of and continuously reducing our waste,” said CEO Mark Eason. “With the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimating that 30 to 40 percent of the country’s food supply is thrown out from restaurants and homes, we, as a country and as a company, must do what we can to eliminate physical waste in all forms.”
In addition to its crayon and cork recycling programs, Firebirds’ sustainability program includes:
- Sustainable Food Sourcing: Firebirds serves only sustainably raised salmon and trout to negate the risk of depletion of global fish stocks.
- Preventing Kitchen Waste: Recycling fryer oil and much of the fat drippings from cooked chicken, chicken wings and ribs reduces kitchen waste.
- Sustainable Energy: Firebirds uses locally sourced wood to cook many of its menu items, reducing the amount of electricity and gas used in the kitchen.
- Sustainably Harvested Wood: In addition, Firebirds helps reduce particulate levels by ensuring that its wood has been thoroughly dried prior to use.
- Using Repurposed Carpet: Firebirds’ carpeting is made in part from repurposed materials, including fishing nets.
- Saving Paper and Ink: Reducing the number of printers and the amount of printing conserves paper resources and ink cartridges. Firebirds also uses recycled paper whenever going paperless is not an option.
- Organic/Biodynamic Wines: Organic and biodynamic wines are better for the environment and closer to the earth in which the grapes are grown.
- The Small Things: Firebirds uses rechargeable candles and recyclable wooden toothpicks instead of plastic ones.
About Firebirds Wood Fired Grill
Firebirds Wood Fired Grill is a collection of 42 polished-casual restaurants specializing in boldly flavored, classic American cuisine, including fresh steaks and seafood prepared from scratch and seared over local hickory, oak or pecan wood on an authentic wood-fired grill. Architectural features include custom-designed wine walls, inviting patios and the FIREBAR®, which boasts a wide selection of artisan cocktails, craft beer and a robust wine list, including Firebirds’ private label wine, served at proper cellar temperatures. With its purpose to “Serve, enrich and exceed,” Firebirds prides itself on providing real value and unexpected delights to its guests, while weaving itself into the fabric of the communities it serves. To date, Firebirds has donated more than $750K to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation to fund childhood cancer research through the sale of its freshly squeezed lemonade. Firebirds has received numerous national awards, including multiple Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and recognition in the FSR 50 – “Top 10 Fast-Growing Chains” and as one of 10 “Breakout Brands” by Nation’s Restaurant News. For more information or to find a location, visit firebirdsrestaurants.com, like Firebirds on Facebook or follow Firebirds on Twitter at @FirebirdsGrill or Instagram at @FirebirdsGrill.